[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Charles A Edwards CAE at eslrahc.com
Tue Aug 21 22:51:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:04:57 +0300
Thomas Backlund wrote:

> >>    UEFI is  Disabled at the moment, and as I have no intention of
> >> Enabling it presumably none of the problems you point to applies.
> >>
> >> An interesting pre-Mageia install question is: If I were to Enable
> >> UEFI, who/what will re-organise the current Windows 7 installation
> >> as you describe to suit, and when?!
> >>

> > Maurice,
> >
> > [1] GPT partitioning -
> > Most likely, your disk is GPT partitioned and windows 7 installed
> > on it with at least 2 partitions (one for boot and probably one
> > more for recovery besides the usual OS partition). As mentioned
> > earlier, Windows 7 (and Linux) will work on BIOS and GPT
> > partitioning. As for enabling UEFI, windows 7 will work without
> > 'redoing' the partitioning (if it is already GPT) but you may have
> > to redo the boot (boot.ini? - but I really don't know for windows).
> > You can try it out by enabling UEFI and check if it boots Windows 7
> > without any changes.
> >
> > You can check if your disk is GPT partitioned by booting a livecd
> > and at terminal (root), "fdisk -lu" If it is GPT, it will give an
> > error message (nothing to worry about, fdisk won't work on GPT,
> > that's all).
> >
> > [2] Grub-legacy
> > First a disclaimer - I have not used grub-legacy for about 5 years,
> > all my OS's boots/grubs are 'set' or 'installed' (wrong term, but
> > that's what it's being used) to their own partitions, including
> > Mageia's grub-legacy boot. And while I've used/tested GPT
> > partitioning using BIOS, it is with grub2, not with grub-legacy, I
> > am unsure if Mageia's grub-legacy could work with GPT and here's a
> > link to help somewhat.. http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html
> > http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html
> >

> Check this one out:
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/grub_legacy.html
>
> That Fedora legacy grub-efi package works, I know, as I'm using it :)

I have done install on several boards with UEFI; ASUS, Gigibyte, MSI,
ASrock, and All will boot stand-alone Linux installations Without issue
using either lilo or grub-0.xx series.

This cauldron system on an ASUS Crosshair V no issues using lilo
(have at times used grub).

A second system, Mandriva 10.1 on MSI 990FXA no issues using lilo.

    Charles

--
We ARE as gods and might as well get good at it.
		-- Whole Earth Catalog