[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Thu Aug 23 09:08:59 CEST 2012

onsdagen den 22 augusti 2012 21.43.07 skrev  Rene Rasmussen:
>  On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:51:31 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:35:09 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> To be honest, I'm not competent to start replacing chips on
> >> a RAM board, either.
> >>
> >   It's a bit scary the first time, but if you follow one of the
> >
> > really helpful video clips out there on the 'net, it's not a big
> > deal.
> >
> >   The main importance (apart from using the correct chip!) is to keep
> > your fingers from direct contact with the chip, to avoid any static
> > charge jumping across.

To this point i do not fully agree; Metal tools give much stronger discharge
than fingers. But a reason to avoid toucing is to avoid contaminating around
pins with sweat (salt, acid), fat and other dirt.

I have conductive plastic pliers for component handling, but they do not have
such firm grip as metal pliers.

Then there are more expensive metalpliers with conductive plastic handles

(conductive in this case means very very sightlyu conductive not measureabla
using standard multimeter, as it should avoid hard discharge, - just slowly
bleed away the charge)

None of the options described is as important as avoiding charges to build up.

In my workshop (i build electronics prototypes) i avoid clothes of synthetic
fabric, wear conductive slippers - if any, have conductive carpet, and
conductive mat on the relevant tables.  But those are expensive is sold as
such.  I have measured some cheaper rubber mats are good too.

The less expensive approach is to use a wristband.
A plus is to avoid sunthetic clothing, and you could work on such pink bubble
palstic wrapping some electronics come with, it is antistatic.  Avoid metal
and plastic table, prefer untreated wood.

>  Or set up an anti-static workplace. That would be the correct thing to
>  do.
>  Static discharges are probably responsible for 90% of all electronics
>  going bad.

(not counting design errors. My favourite complaint is that designers put
eletrolytics unecerrarily close to hot components - the most common repair we
do is to replace such.)

ESD damages are not always immediately noticeable, but often age the component
so it have less life left (simply speaking)

--
Morgan Leijström