[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Thu Aug 23 17:53:07 CEST 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:36:23 -0400, andre999 wrote:

> so the windows 7 should be using gpt partition(s), even if not in
> UEFI mode.
>
> (You might want to verify.  In superuser mode, simply list disk parameters with :
>   fdisk -l

  As I said earlier, the netbook's W7 Diskmgmt utility shows
   "Partition Style: Master Book Record (MBR)"
i.e. not GPT.

> Mageia has no problem with gpt, I've been using it for over 2 years, starting
> with Mandriva, then Mageia.  (We use the same legacy grub patched for
> gpt.)

    That's good to know, as others have doubted that.

> Even dual-booting with a non-gpt-aware version of Msw is a bit tricky, but doable.
> (I've set up dual-boot with a non-gpt-aware version of windows 7.)

  I don't know if the netbook's W7 is gpt-aware or not.

Are you referring to installing on a GPT drive, or normal MBR drive?

What is the problem with dual booting with a non-gpt-aware Windows?
     (I still don't know what "Msw" is!
Short for Microsoft Windows, perhaps?)

--
/\/\aurice