[Mageia-discuss] Boot loader advice please

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Tue Aug 28 14:12:13 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 28 Aug 2012 07:01 my mailbox was graced by a message from Anne
Wilson who wrote:
> >> I'm currently installing M2 as a dual boot onto sdd.  When all
> >> data is transferred to the new disk, sda, sdb and sdc will be
> >> removed. I assume that writing the boot loader (language fails
> >> me, at the moment) to sdd is fine?  I know it's a very basic
> >> question - brain is only half-functioning just now due to
> >> external pressures.
> >> (sda has the old entry.)
> > Just wanting confirmation that the existence of the old grub won't
> >  cause any problems :-)

> Unfortunately, it does cause problems - of course sda is checked
> before sdd.  I assume that I will now need somehow get rid of the grub
> on sda - what's the best way to do that?
> Faint bells are ringing - about re-ordering disks, but in these days
> of using disk IDs I'm not sure whether the old ways are still valid,
> and I really don't want to screw things up to the point where recovery
> is a very big job.  I'd appreciate thoughts from a mind that is calmer
> and clearer than mine :-)

Can you change the boot order in BIOS ?

I have installed M1 on an EeePC, with MSW on the bult-in HD and M1 on a SD;
just reassigned the HD order and the boot order, and all is well, boots from
the SD and offers me the choices.

The only complication is when I change SD to install and try out another OS, I
then have to remember to reset the HD and boot order in the BIOS or it
directly boots Windows from the HD ;-3(.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
             I love standards; there are so many to choose from.