[Mageia-discuss] New kernel cant boot and it killed MCC update

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Aug 28 18:49:05 CEST 2012

Le 2012-08-28 08:32, TJ a écrit :
> On 08/28/2012 03:46 AM, KevinO wrote:
>
>> I was able to get the rpm database straightened out, and can run the
>> 3.3.8 kernel
>> but only by using the nouvea driver. I still have to run the older,
>> 3.3.6 kernel
>> to get the NVidia driver to work.
>>
> FWIW, and it probably isn't much in this case, the nVidia driver for my
> Geforce 6200 card works fine with the new x86 server kernel on my
> machine after my re-install of Mageia 2. (I had to re-install because
> the update appeared to lock up at a critical point, and I couldn't boot
> into any kernel.)
>
> Two things, however: I'm using whatever version is current in Mageia's
> repositories, installed via MCC. And, I didn't install it until after
> getting all the updates-including the new kernel.
>
> So I guess what I am saying is that from appearances it isn't the driver
> or the kernel that seems at fault, but rather something in the update
> process - as you no doubt suspected, anyway.
>
> TJ

Yes, the update is/was broken and it look like it may have something to
do with Nvdia cards, or, at least, that's what it looks like. I still
have a couple of units to update with the new kernel but can't do these
until a couple of days from now, they both have Nvidia cards in them.

I don't know if the update has been fixed ... maybe a dev could chime in
at this point to let us know if this has been fixed.

I also help out quite a few Mageia boxes (I volunteer my time) but only
have 4-5 Mageia2 boxes so far to watch, all the others are still on
Mageia1 but will all eventually be brought in for servicing. But, I
haven't heard from the other Mageia2 owners call in with problems yet
(they probably haven't done their updates, -- they are all mostly seniors).

Marc

--
Marc Paré
Marc at MarcPare.com