[Mageia-discuss] Boot loader advice please

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Aug 28 18:47:39 CEST 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:37:54 +0100
Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:

> On 28/08/12 13:12, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately, it does cause problems - of course sda is checked
> >> before sdd.  I assume that I will now need somehow get rid of the
> >> grub on sda - what's the best way to do that? Faint bells are
> >> ringing - about re-ordering disks, but in these days of using
> >> disk IDs I'm not sure whether the old ways are still valid, and I
> >> really don't want to screw things up to the point where recovery
> >> is a very big job.  I'd appreciate thoughts from a mind that is
> >> calmer and clearer than mine :-)
> >
> > Can you change the boot order in BIOS ?
> >
> That sounded a good idea.  It's so long since I did things like this
> that I had forgotten it altogether.  However....
>
> > I have installed M1 on an EeePC, with MSW on the bult-in HD and M1
> > on a SD; just reassigned the HD order and the boot order, and all
> > is well, boots from the SD and offers me the choices.
> >
> > The only complication is when I change SD to install and try out
> > another OS, I then have to remember to reset the HD and boot order
> > in the BIOS or it directly boots Windows from the HD ;-3(.
> >
> Mageia appeared to be starting up, but when it came to logging in, it
> couldn't find the home directories (separate partition).

AFAIR, on some PCs, changing boot order will also change drive naming
(the BIOS really changes the enumeration order of devices).
So if you didn't use a "smart" scheme for your /etc/fstab entries, like
UUID= or LABEL= mounting, mounting those partitions will fail.

Regards

Antoine.

--
Software development and contracting: http://pro.pitrou.net