[Mageia-discuss] Another mouse question

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Dec 7 12:48:26 CET 2012

On 06/12/12 17:27, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 17:13 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> On my husband's laptop, scrolling the mouse affects the
>> sound/volume, instead of scrolling the page.  I'm completely at
>> a loss as to how this has happened or how to fix it.  Ideas?
>
> Is your husband using Gnome or some other environment? (and if so,
>  which?)
>
> Which Mageia release?
>
> Does it happen with the scrollwheel only or also when clicking on
> scrollbars? Or when moving the mouse not clicking on anything? All
> the time or only sometimes? In one application/program or all of
> them?
>
> Is your husband wearing shoes? Static electricity can cause
> problems sometimes. Is it a wireless mouse?
>
> It is expected that when the volume control gnome applet has
> focus, so that the volume slider is shown, the mouse wheel will
> change the volume.
>
> Is there something he might have configured in a articular program
> he uses (e.g. a Web browser) or, if it's all programs, the
> desktop? For example, did he recently enable accessibility
> options?
>
> It's rather hard to guess from your mail message but maybe these
> questions will help you diagnose things.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, it gives me some pointers.

He uses KDE on Mageia 1 - which I hope to change to Mageia 2 next week.
 It's a wireless mouse, and I can't think of anything that I would have
configured (he doesn't configure anything) that would affect this.  As
far as I can recall, he's been in Firefox when I've seen it - but he
uses so few apps that I rarely see anything else, so I'm not sure
whether other things are affected.

My current plan is to install M2 during the coming week.  If the
behaviour is still apparent, I'll go through everything in
systemsettings, and then in MCC if I still haven't found anything.

ISTR that accessibility settings are sometimes easily switched on by
slow-key access, and that is definitely one thing I should check.

Thanks again for the suggestions - at least I have some starting
points now.

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try