[Mageia-discuss] partitioning bug

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sun Jul 8 11:02:50 CEST 2012

blind Pete a écrit :
> andre999 wrote:
>

>> blind Pete a écrit :

>>> [root at live ~]# hdparm -i /dev/sda | grep LBA
>>>    CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=1953523055
>>> [root at live ~]#
>>>
>>> Same number of sectors as gparted and fdisk report.  Number of heads
>>> and sectors per cylinder are just, "it's a big disk".  _Posssibly_
>>> number of cylinders gives a clue about how big.  H can be 63 or 255,
>>> depending on mood, and CxHxS should be a little less than max LBA.
>>>
>>> The situation just got worse.  The latest work arround is to lie
>>> about how big a sector is.  That is called "advanced" formatting.
>>>

>> BTW, with all those partitions, I would convert your disk to GPT tables
>> instead of MBR, using gdisk.
>> (gdisk is in core.)
>>
> OK I have installed gdisk and will look at it.  How would you rate
> it for maturity?  And what else can recognize a gpt disk?

I would say very mature, even when I started using it (under mdv 2010.0
or 2010.1)
The developer says the "hybid" option which simulates MBR for Msw is
risky, but even that I found very stable and predictable

> Grub?

Yes, since 1.97 patched for GPT, as used in mdv and fedora (at least)
when I started using GPT.
Mageia has always used this version.
> Grub2?

Definitely

> Lilo?

Not sure.  I think newer versions do.

> The Mageia installer?

I didn't have a problem.  I did an upgrade install from mdv2010.2 to
mga1, and could read the other partitions to set up fstab.
Sometime before mga1 was available, I had a problem which corrupted my
system, and made it unbootable.  It took me a while to get around that,
as I didn't want to loose my uncorrupted partitions.  I ended up fixing
it with SystemRescueCD (it contains a partition recovery tool called
testdisk.)  I was able to reinstall mdv.  I may have formatted / with
SystemRescueCD.  At that point I had a "hybrid" format simulating MBR
for systems not aware of GPT.

> Other installers?
>
> Other operating systems?

According to what I have read, most other major distros handle GPT
nicely.  The Linux kernel does.
Msw 32-bit does not, but can work with gdisks' "hybrid" format, which
puts an MBR table at the end of the first sector (a space not used by
GPT).  It is a little tricky to set up, but initially I had it working.
Recently I haven't been bothered to get it working again.
Msw 64-bit is GPT-aware, but I have read that it works only on EFT
hardware, which has a special BIOS.  (Incompatible with Msw 32-bit.)  It
may be just that it is the default installation.
MacOS handles GPT, but I'm not sure of the restrictions if any.  Is was
an early adopter.
*BSD systems should handle GPT just like Linux.
>> It will make your disk more stable.
>> It uses a 128 partition table,with a backup table at the end of the drive.
>> No such thing as "extended" partitions.
>> It takes less space than the ms-compatible MBR partition tables.
>> The only trick is that you need to leave space for the backup table (34
>> 512-byte sectors).
>> If you change your mind, you can convert back painlessly.
>> I've used GPT for over 2 years, including converting back and forth a
>> few times at first.
>>
>> To convert, you'll have to boot to a live disk, preferably with gdisk.
>> I use systemRescueCD for that. http://www.sysresccd.org/
>> The latest stable version is 379 Mib, usable from CD or USB key.
>> I don't know if a Mageia live cd, or Mageia DVD in rescue mode might work.
>>
> In Mageia 1 the installer pulled it from the net rather than from
> the local iso, so it was not prepackaged.

I installed mga1 from DVD.  This upgrade went very smoothly.

I did have a problem changing partition parameters with diskdrake under
mga1, not long after installing it, shortly after mga1 was released.
Luckily I was testing things, so I didn't loose anything important.  But
everything was lost on the partition in question.  I then tried
reformatting the partition with diskdrake, and it wouldn't work.  I had
to use SystemRescueCD (with gparted).
I strongly suspect it was due to my having a "hybrid" format.  I think
that at least at that point, diskdrake (or whatever it uses) would see
the MBR table, and classify the disk as MBR.  While still getting the
partition location parameters from the GPT table.  (The simulated MBR
table puts most partitions in a large "foreign" partition.  The
corrupted partition was not in the MBR table.  And no other partition
was affected.)

Note that I have never had a problem simply accessing (read or write) a
GPT partition on mdv or mga.

Also, initially I used gdisk to format usb drives (but no hybrid MBR
table), and have never had a problem on those disks with diskdrake or
any other mdv or mga tools.

BTW, I installed gdisk from upstream on mdv, and first imported gdisk to
Mageia.
>> Just in case you might be interested
>>
> I'm interested.

You will probably find this interesting :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

--
André