[Mageia-discuss] Symbolic links in Windows 7

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Sun Jul 8 16:36:55 CEST 2012

Everybody probably knows this except me :(

Browsing my new Windows 7 installation, I noticed a lot of symbolic
links, identified by Linux as such.  AFAIK, this is new in Win7; it
wasn't there in WinXP, which I have been using.

I have just used this advantage to get around the following problem:

Directories with spaces can be excluded in rsnapshot, by replacing the
space with a ?, but a bug in rsync prevents directories with spaces from
being backed up at all.  In the parent Windows directory, I created a
symlink without spaces for the inaccessible sub-directory.  I was able
to create it and add it to /etc/rsnapshot.conf, and the backup proceeded
to completion. Changing the name of the subdirectory would probably have
made it unusable by its Windows app.  If Windows hadn't allowed it, I
would have put the link somewhere in Linux.

Doug.