[Mageia-discuss] Symbolic links in Windows 7

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Jul 9 05:34:32 CEST 2012

Doug Laidlaw a écrit :
> I made this one from Linux.  I can't even see them in Windows.  They
> seem to count as hidden files.

msw has had symbolic links not recognisable as such by Linux for a long
time, by default hidden under msw.
What you observe seems to indicate that msw7 has migrated to unix-style
symbolic links.
Interesting.  Gradually Microsoft is adopting more and more unix (and
Linux-compatible) features.

(BTW, it would be easier for others to respond point by point if you and
others didn't top post.)

> Doug.
>
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:08:06 -0700
> Jeff Robins<jeffrobinssae at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> NTFS has had symbolic links for a long time. I think since at least
>> win2k, but no one used them, even MS. I don't think you could even
>> make them with the normal tools.
>>
>> --Jeff
>> On Jul 8, 2012 7:37 AM, "Doug Laidlaw"<laidlaws at hotkey.net.au>  wrote:
>>

>>> Everybody probably knows this except me :(
>>>
>>> Browsing my new Windows 7 installation, I noticed a lot of symbolic
>>> links, identified by Linux as such.  AFAIK, this is new in Win7; it
>>> wasn't there in WinXP, which I have been using.
>>>
>>> I have just used this advantage to get around the following problem:
>>>
>>> Directories with spaces can be excluded in rsnapshot, by replacing
>>> the space with a ?, but a bug in rsync prevents directories with
>>> spaces from being backed up at all.  In the parent Windows
>>> directory, I created a symlink without spaces for the inaccessible
>>> sub-directory.  I was able to create it and add it
>>> to /etc/rsnapshot.conf, and the backup proceeded to completion.
>>> Changing the name of the subdirectory would probably have made it
>>> unusable by its Windows app.  If Windows hadn't allowed it, I would
>>> have put the link somewhere in Linux.

You can also rename directories in msw, to remove spaces, or just make
shorter.

--
André