[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Goh Lip lipg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 12 20:34:05 CEST 2012

Interesting; I used to go to Indonesia fairly often in my course of work, long ago. When I asked the Indonesians to do something, I often got a reply 'esok' which means 'tomorrow'. I used to be exasperated when the task I expected to be completed the next day was not done. I finally realized that 'esok', while meaning 'tomorrow' is also used to mean 'ya okay, maybe I'll get the job done, maybe someday'.  Ha, perhaps ya, the Indonesians learnt this from the Dutch, ya? Or the Dutch from the Indonesians?

I finally wised up and followed up with "Kapan?", meaning 'When will the task be done?". While accepting this to be a cultural thing and we shouldn't be put off by cultural differences, I personally think a person's words should mean what they say; we can still be honest without being hypocritical or tactless.

Cheers - Goh Lip