[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 13 01:35:14 CEST 2012

On 07/12/2012 06:01 PM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> I tend to not answer the question,

I think you're missing the point.  In some cultures, not giving offense
trumps telling the truth.

I've found this to be the case in the past with the Japanese on IT
matters.  When they say "yes" they really mean "I understand the request
you are making", not "I am committing to doing it".  They expect you to
know that what you are asking is (in their view) unreasonable.

It's the same with the Northern Irish kids (and probably the
British,since it's the same school system model).  They'll agree to do
things they have no intention of doing because  you just should have
known that nobody would do that regardless of what they promised you.

Like I said,culture.