[Mageia-discuss] partitioning bug

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:29:19 CEST 2012

andre999 wrote:

> andre999 a écrit :
>
> correction :
>> It might be because you had your "extended" partition at the beginning
>> of the disk, and MBR disk partitions are numbered with the "primary"
>> partions 1-4 and "extended" 5+.

The Ubuntu installer thinks that there should be a reserved BIOS
boot area of at least 1 MB for Grub.  Not that that should be
necessary if Grub is going into a root partition.

>> Gdisk would normally number in disk order, but I'm not sure because I
>> have always numbered in disk order with the "extended" partition at
>> the end of the disk.  With gdisk it is easy to extend an
> I meant "With gparted it is easy to extend an ...
> (obviously not gdisk)

OK

After conversion the mbr order is kept until you change it.

>> extended partition to the end of disk with gparted (using a live cd
>> such as systemrescueCD).
>> You can easily check what partition ordering is with gdisk.  (From
>> systemrescueCD if necessary.)
>> In any case, both grub and grub2 can get confused sometimes when
>> partition numbering changes.

That is one of the reasons that I like LABELs.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...