[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: indirect request <---> direct request

Goh Lip lipg at gmx.com
Sat Jul 14 11:14:40 CEST 2012

On 07/14/2012 12:43 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> Actually the phrase is "You are welcome". This one is a good example
> of something called "synonym".

Actually, a "synonym" means another word with the same meaning.
Like 'good' is a synonym of 'nice'.
A "double entendre" means that word has double meaning.
Like "welcome" can mean "welcome to my house" or "appreciate your thanks".

> Or in other words: Sometimes we must interpret
> meanings, not words.

But I know your "meaning", not the "words" you use.  :)

Regards - Goh Lip

--
True words are not beautiful
Beautiful words are not true.