[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: indirect request <---> direct request

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 14 12:19:12 CEST 2012

On 13/07/2012 22:47, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 07/14/2012 03:24 AM, Marja van Waes wrote:
>> The only difference was in the interpretation:
>
> Precisely. What often passes as a cultural difference is usually only a
> matter of interpretation; especially where differences in the
> connotations of words of different languages are not apparent.

> So for a singular-language person, an interpretation from another
> linguistically different culture may appear to be a cultural 'defect'
> rather than just a misinterpretation of intentions, particularly where
> metaphors or double entendre are used. And there is this matter of
> slang....

Well, I'm starting to see that for the "indirect request versus direct
request" issue, treating it as a translation issue is maybe the best way
to handle it, too, just like with the yes/no issue.

As a young girl my mum often took me to another lady, but she always
reminded me that when in her house, I wasn't allowed to say about any
object that I liked it.

For that lady "What a beautiful vase!" meant "Are you willing to give me
that vase", and since she was used to giving presents to her guests when
they were leaving.......

The best translation for "What a beautiful vase!" would maybe have been
"How beautiful, it looks like that vase was made for this room!" ?