[Mageia-discuss] IT MegaMeet and OGGCamp

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Sat Jul 21 00:55:01 CEST 2012

On Saturday the 19th May 2012 I went to the first Bristol IT MegaMeet
(http://itmegameet.co.uk) at The University of the West of England near
Bristol. I gave a short, unrehearsed Lightning Talk with someone I
hadn’t met until earlier on at the event about the Bristol and Bath
Linux User Group. Which was followed by my Mageia Lightning Talk, which
ran about five minutes. Each talk could only be at most five minutes.
This was the first time I had given these kind of talks. Even though
neither talk had had any proper practise, I still went out there and did
them! My goal, in giving the talks to the 100 to 250 people present, was
to raise interest in Mageia and the LUG among the local IT and business
community, university staff and students,and members of the public.

After the Mageia talk I spoke with four or five people who were curious
to learn more, one of whom was quite interested!

Since Mageia 2 was gong to be released on Tuesday of the next week I
gave out pre-release Live CD’s, on suggestion from a member of the QA
team, rather than the Mageia 2 RC, or Mageia 1. I gave out both GNOME
and KDE pre-release Live CD’s, I also made it clear to the recipients
that they were pre-release and what that meant.

Talk video: http://youtu.be/Ro7UrIivYBo
Talk slides: http://www.slideshare.net/sebsebseb2/mageia-slideshow

I will be going to OGGCamp next month in Liverpool, which is an event
organised by the Linux Outlaws podcast and Ubuntu UK Podcast.

OGGCamp is the biggest community organised Linux and other
opensource/freesoftware, event in the UK. OGG Camp is also a free
culture event. Stephen Fry will be there this year at the fourth
OGGCamp, but via technology not in person.

I haven't been before, but since I gained my first proper public
speaking experience in May at the Bristol IT Mega Meet, as a result I am
thinking about possibly doing a talk at OGGCamp about Mageia. However
one that I will have prepared much more properly as well in that case,
than the Mageia talk I did in May at the IT MegaMeet.

As for if I get to do the talk or not and if so how big the room will be
as well that depends since OGGCamp is an unconference. People who are
there at the beginning that would like to can put them selves down for
talks, and then people vote on which talks they would like to attend
before the scheduled is finalised. Speakers get given a time and a room,
the more popular the talk is the bigger the room. When it comes to the
voting the exception is the few already scheduled talks.

If I put myself down for a talk about Mageia and if it's popular enough
I may end up doing it in front of about 300 people!

OGGCamp is on the 18th and 19th August, more details are available on
the website: http://oggcamp.org

I will be giving out Mageia 2 CD's at OGGCamp.

Thought I would send this email this evening, even though I am going
away tomorrow afternoon for a week's holiday, and may not be online at
all, or will be, but with not much Internet time.

This email is for the Mageia discuss, Atelier, and local communities
mailing lists, however please reply only on the Mageia discuss mailing list.

 From Sebastian