[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 25 00:38:26 CEST 2012

I feel I must register my support for Graham's position (insofar as I
understand it from the précis in this thread) as I have suffered
almost in silence for years from the jarring effect of finding
mis-spellings of common words scattered willy-nilly in Mageia and
previously Mandriva installations.

Whilst I have come to recognise that many of these instances are in
fact regarded as standard usage in the written form of another
language (a closely related fork of my native language), I do not
regard that as any sort of excuse for their persistence in an
environment I have configured to be en_GB.

If any Mageia "translators" are changing colour to color or centre to
center then unless they are doing it for en_US then they are quite
simply mistaken. If they do not understand the mistake then they would
probably be better employed in some other work, not translation. If
they are not native English speakers then the mistake is
understandable (not acceptable, just understandable) but I do not
think that there can be any justification for a policy that says en_US
translations should be forced on en_GB users.

Richard