[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

Max Quarterpleen bogusman222 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:59:53 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:

> On 25/07/12 03:23, RICHARD WALKER wrote:
> > On 25/07/2012, Morgan Leijström <fri at tribun.eu> wrote:
> >> The system source and interface must be written in *one*
> >> consistent language.
> >>

> > I'm not sure I understand the imperative.
> <snip>
> > If I expect my users to be of many nationalities then I would also
> > expect to have to do some translating. The consistency of which you
> > speak comes from having the translations expected by the population
> > of users.
> >
> Yet surely you understand when you are told that the problem is purely
> a lack of manpower.  Mageia would welcome en_GB translations.
> Register to work on it.
>
> >> And the fact is that the most common used language in the system
> >> is en_US
> >>
> >> Therefor it should be purified to *en_US*
> >>
> >> And all other en_* should be translations.
> >
> > Again we seem to differ. I hope you didn't mean "purified", that's
> > probably just a mis-translation where something like "rationalised"
> > or "simplified" might have been a better choice.
>
> No - you are wrong.  "purified" means to make one consistent language.
>
> > Where we really differ, though, is in regarding all languages (with
> > the exception of the US variant of English) as being targets for
> > translation. I would not discriminate against our trans-atlantic
> > cousins in that way. I would include their language as a valid
> > target for translation and then we would all be equal.
> >
> This is utterly ridiculous.  There has to be a single "core" language.
>  That has been chosen.  It is perfectly obvious that every other
> language must then be a translation of the core.  This has nothing to
> do with discrimination.
>
> I am English born and bred, and 72 years old.  I defend my language
> whenever I think it is necessary, but your stance is not defensible.
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Sensitive cultural and social use of language is much too complex
> > a subject for people who focus on logic to understand, especially
> > in a foreign language.
> >
> How insular can you get?  No wonder the British are seen as somewhat
> ridiculous.  Are you seriously suggesting that an Englishman cannot
> understand the word "color"?  Of course not.  Please do not waste
> people's time like this.  If you feel strongly that there should be an
> en_GB translation of everything, then contribute to it.

I am so glad that Anne said that, because she is one of the few people
qualified to say what I, and probably several others, were thinking.
I grew up learning en_US, but due to one thing or another was exposed to
mainly en_GB in high school. Since I have an open mind to these things, I
taught myself en_GB spelling, grammar (which is slightly different when
spoken) and idioms. Of course I am most comfortable in en_US, but that's
not the point. The point is the mindset. This stubbornness of "how darest
thou dilute my native language with the vulgarities of another" is very
off-putting. In fact, it makes me instinctively want to retaliate in kind,
and quickly degrade to name-calling and pinching. It indicates that this
person does not really want to formulate any kind of change or anything.
No, they just want to complain. And loudly.
Rather than jump on a soap box and pontificate to a mostly indifferent
audience, why not do something about it?
We have all been saying over and over again that this was not done out of
malice, callousness or some perverted desire to errode the British
language. It was done this way to conform with well-established standards
and common practice. The only thing preventing drakx tools from having
certain British spellings is a lack of manpower.
Anybody and everybody is welcome to provide input, criticism and their own
opinion. But what makes it constructive criticism is the way it is
delivered, and what you are willing to do about it.
As they say in NY, put out or get out. The British translation for that
would be: get down from your high horse and help out or just go away.
So please, you are welcome to join the Mageia team and provide an en_GB
translation for what is missing. You are welcome to sit in silent defiance
and nurse your stubbornness. But this, this angst-driven tirade? This is
not welcome at all. It only generates more angst.