[Mageia-discuss] GNOME System Settings missing

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Jul 30 18:11:45 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:31:57AM -0400, Michael Hill wrote:
> Hi Olav,
>
> On Jul 29, 2012 8:07 PM, "Olav Vitters" <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:49:20PM -0400, Michael Hill wrote:
> > > I'm running Cauldron and just performed the UsrMove procedure to
> > > permit installation of updates for the first time in a number of days.
> > > Still, System Settings have not been runnable from the user menu for
> > > many weeks.
> >
> > Works for me. Please give more details.
>
> My user menu has been messed up since Cauldron restarted... missing items,
> different order. I noticed a few weeks ago Suspend was missing and Power
> Off was in the middle of the menu. Now it's at the bottom where it belongs
> and Suspend is accessible with the Alt key (Suspend no longer works the way
> it once did, but now drains the battery).

Those are upstream changes.

> About two weeks ago my video driver was killed by an update, so I got the
> GDM background with the progress spinner but no GNOME Shell. Updating from
> the console corrected this after a few days.

Hmm.

> The System Settings menu pick until recently would try to start from the
> menu, displaying "System Settings" in the app menu position on the top bar
> but failing. Now it doesn't even try *that* hard, it just doesn't do
> anything.  I would have sworn it could once be launched from the command
> line, but now it's unrecognized.

Can you start it from the Activities bit?

Could you post the output of ~/.cache/gdm/session.log ? This is the new
~/.xsession-errors. Please check if there are privacy related things in
there before posting.

> Is there some way to wipe out my configuration and start from scratch? By
> re-installing a package, maybe? Otherwise let me know what kind of output
> is needed to diagnose.

Do you have gnome-control-center? I'd like to figure out what is wrong
before wiping configurations. This kind of problem should not occur,
plus might occur for other people.. so if you have time, I'd like to
find the cause.

--
Regards,
Olav