[Mageia-discuss] software-induced hard disk sector reallocation problem

Tony Blackwell tablackwell at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 12 11:39:41 CET 2012

Further info and thoughts.

The 2nd episode reported above was with 7 x 2TB hard disks in the tower
and the eighth (the 3 TB to be configured) loose on top via the last
SATA connection.  I have since removed this 3TB, rebooted and
gsmartcontrol no longer shows one of the 2TB disks with a bunch of
reallocated sectors.  ('tho I'm +/- sure the first disk showing
reallocation errors persisted).

1. Could it be a power-related problem??  850 watt power supply, ASUS
P6T M'board, 4Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 285 video card, intel core i7 920
CPU...  No other system problems to suggest this.

2,  M'board provides 2 different chipsets to drive some of the SATA
ports each.  Relevant???

Appreciate any ideas.
Tony Blackwell