[Mageia-discuss] How to mount NTFS partitions at boot?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Thu Nov 29 06:58:38 CET 2012

Al 21/10/2012 0:26, En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:

>> For any file system where you want the boot to continue, instead of dropping
>> to a shell, add the nofail option in /etc/fstab.
>
> noted for next time

Well, I needed this advice today, since, out of the blue, it stopped
mounting my ntfs partitions and dropped me to a shell.
I added the nofail option and rebooted, this time it didn't drop me to a
shell but still couldn't mount those partitions.
Trying to mount them manually it complained that the partition was
already exclusively opened (?), and, in fact, mount showed them as
mounted (but they weren't).
It turns out that I had to unmount them even if they weren't really
mounted (using "umount", "systemctl stop mnt-win_d mount" did nothing)
and then I could mount them with no errors.

I have some questions here:

1) why did it happen? (I blame systemd, but then I'm biased against
anything coming from the mastermind behind pulseaudio)

2) why "mount" listed them as mounted

3) why "mount" lists virtual partitions (dev, usb, etc.) a bazillion
times? (it also showed a vfat partition mounted twice).

TIA.

--
Luca