[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-3-Alpha2: Broadcom wireless driver fails to connect to SSID

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Fri Oct 19 19:00:23 CEST 2012

Having earlier successfully installed and used 64-bit Mageia-2 on the
Samsung NC110 netbook, I today did a clean install of Mageia-3-Alpha2
(retaining the Mageia-2 /home).

All went well, though the process to get the Broadcom driver set up was
quite lengthy. (Happened automatically, once I had enabled the non-free
repository and hit 'Configure' in the Network Centre.)

Sadly, although the WiFi finds the router's SSID, it fails
(repeatedly) to Connect.  (WPA key checked multiple times.)

The wireless adapter is a Broadcom Corp'n BCM 43225 802.11b/g/n, which
worked fine under Mageia-2.

In the same physical position*, my Toshiba laptop (running Mandriva
2010.2) autoconnects on boot.    (*The router is less than 3 ft away.)

'uname -a' shows "kernel 3.6.2-desktop-1.mga3".

MCC/Software shows the following 'broadcom' items installed:

    dkms-broadcom-wl
    broadcom-wl-kernel-desktop-latest
    broadcom-wl-kernel-3.6.2-desktop-1.mga3
    broadcom-wl-kernel-3.5.5-desktop-0.rc1.1.mga3

In an effort to find a solution, I then did the folllowing:

   - Removed all those broadcom items
   - Installed the kernel 3.6.2-netbook-1.mga3  (i.e. 'latest')
   - Installed broadcom-wl-kernel-latest  (to get latest driver)
   - Rebooted

Result: Same as before: The wireless adapter finds the only SSID, but
fails to connect.

   N.B. Mageia-2 on the same netbook had no such problem.

Anyone any ideas, please, as to how to recover the situation?!

(I have raised a bug report (7844))
--
/\/\aurice
	(Retired in Surrey, UK)