[Mageia-discuss] How to mount NTFS partitions at boot?

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 00:08:17 CEST 2012

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:48:30 -0400, Luca Olivetti <luca at ventoso.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> just upgraded from mandriva 2010.0 to mageia 2 (it wasn't easy) and I'm already "loving" systemd (not!).
> At first it wouldn't boot and I took a while to find that the cause was that it couldn't mount ntfs partitions.
> For the time being I just commented out of fstab, but I'd like for them to be mounted at boot.
> Apparently it's because fuse hasn't started, but I cannot really tell.
> Any idea?

Upgrading directly from 2010.0 to Mageia 2 is not recommended, as there were
some updates in Mageia 1 specifically to make upgrading to Mageia 2 work.

For any file system where you want the boot to continue, instead of dropping
to a shell, add the nofail option in /etc/fstab.

As to ntfs not mounting, make sure the following packages are installed ...
ntfs-3g fuse libfuse2

Confirm you can then mount the ntfs partition.  Once you're able to mount it
in a regular running session, as root run "dracut -f", to update the initrd
file.

Regards, Dave Hodgins