[Mageia-discuss] TV Cards

Deri James deri at chuzzlewit.myzen.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 11:52:45 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 04 Sep 2012 12:08:50 Thomas Backlund wrote:

> A normal hdd should have no problem with recording atleast 4 normal
> streams or 2 HD streams at the same time.
>
> After all, that is what enduser tv-boxes do...
>
> But depending on the pvr cards it can get cpu bound if the cards
> do do all their work in software with no hw assistance...
>
> But the only way to know is to read specs & test :)
>
> --
> Thomas

Using DVB-T in the UK most SD programs are between 2.5 -> 4.5 mbit a second. I
use a sheevaplug with 3 DVB-T USB dongles which can record up to 6 programs
from 3 separate muxes at a time. This backend device runs MythTV with the UPNP
module. It writes to an external disk using e-sata.

Next to the TV I have a Dune HD101 connected to powerline adapter. This sees
the MythTV  box as a DLNA server. Various laptops in the house can run MythTV
frontend to also view programs/setup recordings.

The same setup could possibly be duplicated with two Raspberry PIs.

Deri