[Mageia-discuss] Making the serial port available to all

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Mon Sep 17 16:05:50 CEST 2012

On Monday 17 Sep 2012 08:44 my mailbox was graced by a message from Frank
Griffin who wrote:
> > I think I finally found a simpler solution:

> You should enter a bug report for this, as there is probably more going
> on here than simple Unix permissions.

> When dinosaurs roamed the earth, Unix systems were multi-user, and it
> was expected that the sysadmin would use the groups to parcel out device
> permissions.  As Linux distros have moved more and more towards
> single-user systems, permission mechanisms have changed.

> /dev devices are now created dynamically (as already pointed out)
> according to rules supplied by the packages you install.  The theory is
> that you only end up creating /dev nodes for devices you will actually
> use, rather than the cast of thousands that used to be created
> statically for every possible need.

> And access to common devices like CD drives and the audio system is (I
> believe) done dynamically now as well, by packages like polkit and
> systemd, which take their configuration from places other than /etc/group.

> As a USB tty is not a common device, it may well have fallen through the
> cracks of these new mechanisms, and should probably be addressed there.

I beg to disagree with the last, given that the group attribution for
/dev/ttyUSB0 (for the USB serial port adapter) is the same as that for the
common or garden serial ports at /dev/ttyS*
All of those belong to the dialout group, probably leftover from the days when
the serial ports conected to the modem (?).

Filled the bug report.

Cheers,

Ron.
--