[Mageia-discuss] Need advice: Transfer KMail settings and content from KDE3 to KDE4

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Sep 20 11:19:17 CEST 2012

ׁHi Johnny,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 05:49:04 +0100
"Johnny A. Solbu" <cooker at solbu.net> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I want to ask the community for advice upon transfering my KMail
> contents from a box running KDE3 to one running KDE4. I have a large
> ~/Mail folder with 765M of mail that I wan't to transfer from an old
> box still running mdv2008.1, and have KDE 3.5.9 and KMail 1.9.9.

Wow, that's old. Are there still updates for it?

> have delayed this transfer mainly because the current computer
> perfoms the task quite nicely and works just as I want it to. But
> it's getting old, so I need to do this at some point anyway.
>
> I need to transfer all settings, including several accounts,
> identies, filtering rules and the address book. What do I need to
> transfer in order to accomplish this? And what, if anything do I need
> to reconfigure after the transfer in order to make KMail on the
> receving system to recognice all settings?

Well, I recall that while early KMail released on KDE 4 worked mostly fine,
KMail 2 was far too unreliable and unstable. Maybe it is better now.
As a result, I have switched to Claws-mail, using these script:

https://bitbucket.org/shlomif/convert-away-from-kmail/src/115463239f0d/shlomif-convert-away-from-kmail

I didn't have a good way to import the filters, and created them again semi-manually,
as I ran into a place where I needed to filter messages.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish