[Mageia-discuss] PPTP in Mageia 2?

Rama Space Ship ramaspaceship at free.fr
Thu Sep 20 13:10:17 CEST 2012

Hi Scott,
> I'm trying to get PPTP running so that I can connect to my
> workplace.   I've installed pptp-linux, networkmanager-pptp and
> knetworkmanager-pptp.
> I can't seem to get it configured properly.
>
> Has anyone gotten PPTP to work properly?  It's pretty much a vanilla
> configuration, just user, domain, and password, along with requiring
> encryption (I think mppe).
Yes, but after several hours of trial.

I first tried kvpnc, which used to work well with Mandriva 2010. But it
now generates a wrong pptp command which fails to do its job. On Mageia
1, I succeed to install the Mandriva 2010 version but this failed on
Mageia 2.

Then I tried networkmanager as you did, and never got something to work.
It is wise to remove it as it may create problems even when you think
you don't use it.

Then I used the "pptp-command" tool (part of pptp-linux package) and I
got the connection. It is a command line tool to be run as root. I just
have to adjust /etc/resolv.conf once connected as the added name servers
are at the end, where they should come first.

I hope this will help you.

Bernard