[Mageia-discuss] Bootable external drive

vze1pbnt at verizon.net vze1pbnt at verizon.net
Wed Sep 26 20:18:04 CEST 2012

>Thank you for reading this.
>
>Over the years I've attempted to create a bootable external USB drive,
>but without success. Recently I tried unetbootin which is supposed to
>download and install a Linux distribution of choice and then create a
>bootable disc. It all seems to work well except my laptop won't boot
>from the newly created bootable external drive.
>
>I've occasionally forgotten to unplug my e-book reader and the next time
>that I start the computer I'm informed that "this is not a bootable
>disc." So, the computer does detect whether an external device is
>bootable or not.
>
>My question is, how can I determine whether the external drive is indeed
>bootable or not? Is there a bit that's set somewhere if it's bootable?
>
>--
>Regards,
>Phil

Have never had a problem doing this.  CDs and DVDs I have burned from iso files have always been bootable.
I would say check you bios if you were not getting that bootable disc message.  So I think the place to look at is setting up
writing the disk or USB stick.   I did have one friend who had this problem.  When I checked his boot disk it had one file on
it, with the extension of iso.  But check you bios just to be sure.