[Mageia-discuss] Bootable external drive

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 27 01:21:10 CEST 2012

On 26/09/12 20:32, John Bowden wrote:

> As far as I know unenetbooting does not work with our iso's, its a long time
> erm undocumented feature ;) you can use the DD command, there is even a DD for
> widoz.

Thanks everyone for your replies,

I think there might be a hardware issue somewhere. The laptop detects
USB sticks (and e-book readers) and reports that the device isn't
bootable however the USB hard drive is simply ignored. So there must be
some subtle difference between the mechanical drive and a USB stick.

The Internet is awash with tutorials on how to create a bootable
external drive but, in my case, unless the external drive is mounted
it's not detected and the BIOS is set to boot from an external drive.

I'm reluctant to try my drive on someone else's computer because if
anything goes wrong, even six years later, it will be my fault.

I don't think Tuxboot or DD would offer a solution.

--
Regards,
Phil