[Mageia-discuss] Boot and fsck question

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Sun Sep 30 03:07:14 CEST 2012

I have just discovered that on Debian, one can force the system to run "fsck -y" on bootup, to make it automatically fix errors whether they require human intervention or not, by setting "FSCKFIX=yes" in /etc/default/rcS".
I have also discovered that something similar is possible for Mandriva and Mageia, by activting "AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK=yes" in /etc/sysconfig/autofsck.
Will this setting also force fsck to run with the "-y" option?

The purpose of this change is to make selected systems so the administrator does /Not/ have to manually fix the filesystems. Some of these systems are at friends and family who religiously refuse to deal with the command line. They prefer that I drive an hour to their places and fix it. My brother learned to use a shellscript I created, that ran "fsck -y". But he's the exception.
I also have a server that I'd like to behave this way, so I don't have to attach a monitor and a keyboard each time it fails to boot up, because it wants me to "hold it's hand" in fixing it.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324