[Mageia-discuss] Dual Monitors

Jeff Robins jeffrobinssae at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 07:21:51 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 09:07 -0800, Jeff Robins wrote:
> >
> > On 12/29/2011 02:34 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> >
> > > Also, neither that nor the ATI radion X1300 card in my desktop detected
> > > when I rotated the monitor in Linux, or if they did (more likely), they
> > > didn't act on it.
> [...]
> > Do you mean that they didn't automatically detect when you physically
> > rotated the screen or whether they ignored the settings in Xorg.conf?
>
> I mean that I was working in portrait mode, then, with X running,
> rotated the display to landscape mode, and the displayed pixels did not
> change, so that e.g. menus and applications were now sideways.

I then used xrandr on the system with the ATI card; I forget what I did
> on the laptop with an nvidia card. The result was a loss of
> acceleration.  I did not edit xorg.conf at all.
>
> Liam
>
> --
> Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
> Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
>
> Does rotating the screen work in Windows?

This sounds like something that isn't supported via the DVI/VGA cables or a
problem with support in the proprietary drivers.
The drivers could probably do the rotations, they just never got the proper
signal.  Having "Xinerama" enabled for the AMD
drivers really restricts what options you have, but duasl monitors didn't
work with AMD's driver any other way.

--Jeff