[Mageia-discuss] New install

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Thu Jan 5 21:49:47 CET 2012

Op donderdag 05 januari 2012 11:26:26 schreef Morgan Leijström:
> fredagen den 4 november 2011 03.28.12 skrev  andre999:
> > Maarten Vanraes a écrit :

> > > urpmi-proxy
> > >
> > > :-)
> >
> > I see now -- it's your package, and it's only in cauldron
> > I've been essentially doing that manually, so will be very handy.
> > (I had been thinking of eventually adding that function to rpmdrake.)
> >
> >  From the spec, it looks like it will install in mga1.
> >
> > Thanks for doing it :-)
>
> Yes, thank you - This is exactly what i need for my family server!
>
> I plan to have six computers running mageia 1, server included.
> But having them all install and update individually will consume a bigh
> chunk on our montly internet connection data budget.
>
> Server is mga1 64 bit - can i install urpmi-proxy there, how?
>
> I found
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Urpmi-proxy
> Are there any more instructions somewhere?

not yet, but if you can tell me what could be improved on documentation, you
can tell me.

> I guess that on the client side i just remove all repos, then
> urpmi.addmedia --distrib http://my.local.server.IP/mageia/1/x86_64

yes, there is even a way to have the server use it itself.

the trick here, is to specify in the /etc/urpmi-proxy.conf file the mirror
you'll be using manually, and then removing repos on the server and adding
sources from the urpmi-proxy on the server itself too...

> Can i have urpmi-proxy proxy both x86_64 repos, and i586, for the different
> clients?  And also cauldron for two (dual boot) clients?

yes, it works for all mageia tree, stable, cauldron, x86_64 and i586 and even
SRPMS

> On a side note, any tip what to use to proxy all http easily?
> And if possible all youtube; my children watch many times the same film...
> (But thanks to gcompris and other awesome educative games that use has
> decreased)

squid is indeed good, for urpmi i still recommend urpmi-proxy, as it'll be
much nicer because it can tell exactly which is new and which is recent.