[Mageia-discuss] Cpufreq management

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Jan 10 16:39:06 CET 2012

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:20:48 +0100
Pierre Jarillon <jarillon at abul.org> wrote:
> Cpufreq management is not obvious and not easy for a beginner.
>
> However it is useful to save power and reduce the noise (lower speed of fans).
> It is useful on laptops and also on desktops.
> I use intel procs:
> 4CPU : i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (mageia 1)
> 2CPU :  E7300 @ 2.66GHz (mageia 1 and cauldron)
> On both machines, the lower frequency is 1.60GHz and I have set the governor
> to ondemand.
>
> In MCC-> services, cpufreq was enabled, but in fact was not working.

You shouldn't need a permanent daemon, since this is all handled by the
kernel.
Also, by default the "ondemand" governor seems to be enabled, which is
what you want (it conserves power when no demanding task is running).

> A question:  Why is there cpufreq and cpufreqd?

AFAIU, cpufreqd is obsolete. The kernel is able to change power state
depending on load without the help of an user-space daemon.

Regards

Antoine.