[Mageia-discuss] Keyboard gone after update from Mandriva

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:49:19 CET 2012

On 01/12/2012 10:43 AM, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> After updating from Mandriva 2010.1 to Mageia 1, I have this keyboard problem:
>
> The (USB) keyboard, which is recognized by the BIOS during boot-up, no longer
> does anything when I get to the Grub screen. (So I cannot boot in safe mode)
>
> After which the computer freezes  displaying "Mageia" and nine dark polka
> dots.
>
> No such problem when I try to boot with a PS2 keyboard; with USB keyboard
> booted perfectly under Mandriva.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ron.
Now that I think about it, I recall that when I switched from a PS2
keyboard to a USB one, I had to change a BIOS setting to get it
recognized by Grub. Once it timed out and booted the default, the
keyboard worked perfectly. Had me scratching my head for a few days, I
can tell you.

But that was with Mandriva 2010.0 or 2009.1 and you said it worked with
Mandriva, and you also said it froze later, which mine didn't. And my
incident was with an existing install, not a new one.

So maybe your problem is different. Still, it might not hurt to check.
If you have such a BIOS setting and changed it before, perhaps something
caused the BIOS to reload the defaults.

It's been a while and I'm not sure about this, but it almost seems like
I had to use a PS2 keyboard to get into the BIOS, until I changed that
setting. Sigh. Wish I could remember more.

TJ