[Mageia-discuss] Glitch with nvidia FX 5500 card driver

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 22:19:12 CET 2012

On 01/19/2012 03:28 PM, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op donderdag 19 januari 2012 15:17:39 schreef TJ:
>> On 01/19/2012 06:37 AM, AL13N wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> this "new driver" what is it? is it, is it different from the one used
>>> before?
>>
>> Sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought.
>>
>> The FX cards use a different nvidia driver than the 6000 series. When I
>> first booted with the 6200, the "new" card, Mageia was still using the
>> FX driver, the "old" driver. Using MCC, I had Mageia install the driver
>> for the 6000 series, the "new" driver, but it didn't take effect until I
>> did a reboot. So, when I began the restart process, Mageia was still
>> using the FX driver("old") with the card, and the 6200 card acted as the
>> FX card had. After the reboot Mageia was using the 6000 series
>> driver("new"), and all worked as it should.
>>
>> Hope that clears things up. Again, I'm sorry if I was confusing.
>>
>> TJ
>
> oic, so you think it's something that's fixed in nvidia-current, but nvidia-
> legacy still has this problem?

Yes. I'm far from being an expert, but it appeared to me that there is a
problem with the nvidia 173.14.30 driver Mageia 1 uses for FX cards that
isn't in the nvidia-current (225?) driver. I don't know if it exists in
the 96xx driver, too.

I apologize. I should have looked up the version numbers before my
original post.

TJ