[Mageia-discuss] Install

Gary Montalbine gmontalbine at cox.net
Tue Jan 24 16:41:45 CET 2012

On 01/24/2012 09:46 AM, Florian Hubold wrote:
> Am 24.01.2012 14:32, schrieb Gary Montalbine:
>> I did a fresh install of Mageia this past weekend. I had been away from
>> mageia for 5 months because of a printer problem. Colors did not print
>> correctly in Mageia. Angelo Naselli corrected this and the printer now works.
>> I have now rejoined the Mageia community and am impressed with the program. I
>> had an install problem due to my graphics card. I think someone mentioned
>> they had a problem with their Galaxy card. I am using the galaxy GT430R. The
>> KDE desktop did not show my icons nor my toolbar. I downloaded galaxy drivers
>> from nvidia and installed same per their instructions and  everything is
>> working well. This would be very discouraging to someone new to mageia that
>> is just trying out the program. I was aware of it because I had the problem
>> with ML. Is it possible to mention someplace that there may be a problem with
>> galaxy and to see the nvidia site for installation of the card?
>>
>> Gary
>>
> You mean an Nvidia GeForce GT430? Galaxy is only an OEM manufacturer.
> This card should be supported by the mageia nvidia drivers, i've got a GT240M
> running here without any problems.
>
> What was the particular install problem you encountered?

My purchase order has Galaxy GT430R. The driver is from nvidia and
listed as  Geforce 400 series.

The kde desktop had no icons, incomplete toolbar at the bottom.
Apparently the approbriate files in my /home were not used. I also had
this problem in ML2010.2 and found and installed the nvidia driver.
Problem corrected. I ran the nvidia driver in init 3 and then went to
kde and everything was restored and looks good. I had also renamed .kde
so I had a fresh kde file.  Maybe this particular card is not supported.

The only reason I mentioned this was because I thought a couple of other
people had remarked about galaxy cards.

Gary