[Mageia-discuss] Can't access floppy drive

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 21:56:54 CET 2012

A Gnome user brought this up on a.o.l.mageia and a.o.l.mandriva. The
issue, apparently, affects both distros. Both of us are using the 32-bit
Mageia 1. I can't speak for him, but here is my problem:

I don't do it often at all, but what I'd like to be able to do is have
Dolphin detect when I put a floppy in the drive and add that to the
Places panel, just as it now does when I put a CD or DVD in one of those
drives. As it is now, when I put a floppy in the drive, nothing happens.

lsmod shows that the floppy module is present. My fstab shows this for
the floppy:

> /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,exec,flush 0 0

I can't even seem to be able to mount it by hand. $ mount /media/floppy
appears to work. At least, the drive spins and the busy LED comes on for
a while, then goes off. But, nothing shows in /media/floppy, and if I
give the mount command again without unmounting the drive, it still works.

But, $ mount /media/floppy; mount /media/floppy results in these error
messages:

> mount: /dev/fd0 already mounted or /media/floppy busy
> mount: according to mtab, /dev/fd0 is already mounted on /media/floppy

But if I look at mtab, the floppy isn't there. And giving the mount
command again, on a separate line, produces no errors.

It's as if the drive is mounted, then unmounted almost immediately. Or
as if the driver didn't allow enough time for the disk to be read before
deciding it couldn't be mounted.

BTW, Windows XP, on the same hardware and with the same floppy, has no
problem with access. This is an old-style floppy drive, connected to the
motherboard. It is not usb.

Any ideas?

TJ