[Mageia-discuss] Long Term Support Policy

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Tue Jan 31 23:14:10 CET 2012

On 01/31/2012 04:53 PM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le mardi 31 janvier 2012 à 16:04 -0500, imnotpc a écrit :

>>> Packagers are volunteers, they are not "ressources" to be allocated, so
>>> I think the formulation is to be revised.
>>>
>>> If no one want to work on something, it will not happen. That's as
>>> simple as that.
>>>
>> Well volunteers are certainly resources. Whether they choose to work on
>> a project is of course up to them, but the fact they contribute makes
>> them a resource to the organization. In this case a vital resource that
>> needs to be treated well. That said, someone like myself could
>> potentially work in many different areas such as answering questions on
>> the ML or forum, updating the wiki, updating the website, writing
>> documentation, even light coding or packaging. I could potentially be
>> "allocated" to the area with the greatest need and I wouldn't care one
>> way or the other. I think it would be a shame to to see the
>> devs/packagers/maintainers put a lot of effort into a distro that they
>> loved working on but no one would use. New users are a source of new
>> contributors which can make the experience better for all of us.
> As you say, you have the freedom to work on what you prefer to do, and
> given the tense you used, In infer that you are not doing it yet. So the
> question that come to my mind is "why don't you start now ?".

Fair question, especially since I've always contributed to projects in
the past. The short answer is that I have serious personal/employment
issues which require all of my time currently, but I will do as much as
I can.

Jeff