[Mageia-discuss] Alpha 3 snapshot

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Feb 14 10:44:26 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:27:59AM +0100, Juergen Harms wrote:
> Following the good advice from Morgan (network install) I have now
> been able to make a clean install with all the latest updates and to
> go through all the steps I normally do to customize and verify my
> production system. A couple of interesting points, here is the lot:
>
> 1. After this minimum install, I habe been unable to create media of
> type file (urpmi.addmedia): although urpmi had been correctly
> installed, genhdlist2 was missing - I guess a dependency of urpmi on
> genhdlist2 is missing.

Could you file a bug with the error message when genhdlist2 is missing?

> 6. Several packages which use Gtk (started from a console) display
> an error message when they start: "ldconfig: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
> is not a symbolic link"

That is the only error message which is given? Are they gtk 2 or gtk 3
applications. Could you try both gtk 2 and gtk 3 and file a bug please?
Please cc me.

> 7. The geda packages which I am maintaining (and which worked under
> Alpha 1 now throw - mostly Gtk and oxygen related - errors, I will
> have to re-dig and rebuild these packages). That may be a warning to
> other package maintainers who did their homework early: packages
> built under Alpha1 dont necessarily work any more.

Weird. Please file a bug.

> 8. Sometime soon after boot, there is practically alway a
> notification popup saying "Error while initializing DBus, Disabling
> the service"

Popup in KDE you mean?

> 10. The random console switching problem is still there, but the
> workaround suggested is OK.

Only in KDE?

> 11. KDE

Don't care, sorry :P

> This using Alpha 3 in-spite of all took so much time that I now have
> to catch up with other stuff that got left behind - no time left for
> distilling these issues into bug reports. But I hope that this
> snapshot helps; and I will, as Marja suggested, make comments in the
> already existing bugzilla reports to clarify that the bugs are still
> open and, where adequate, insist on their importance.

I'd still appreciate if you put anything gtk/gnome related in a
bugreport. You do not need to check for duplicates, no need for a long
description. I like a full error message (just copy paste).

--
Regards,
Olav