[Mageia-discuss] Pronunciation

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Mon Feb 20 18:47:25 CET 2012

On 02/20/2012 12:03 PM, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
> 2012/2/20 imnotpc<imnotpc at rock3d.net>
>> I never thought of that pronunciation. So I'm trying to think of how you
>> would naturally say it in French. Would it be something like 'ma-zsh-ah'? (I
>> obviously don't know proper phonetics)
> Well, as a French speaking, I pronunce it the French way. In French,
> when it's followed by a "e" or "i", the "g" is a soft "g" as in
> "magic" (though we have no "d" sound before the g in French). It also
> the kind of sound you have in "Asia" for the "s" (though it might
> depend on the kind of English you speak I think).
>
> So, you would pronunce /ma.ʒe.ja/ (remember that /j/ is not the sound
> you have in "jelly" but the sound you have in "youth", just like the
> German "j").
> To compare, I think in English you would pronunce /ˈmædʒɛjæ/
> That's not written the same way in phonetics, but it's actually quite
> similar except for the /d/ sound in English.

That's really interesting because I never noticed that we insert the 'd'
sound before the 'g' in magic. But the way you describe the French
pronunciation is the way I imagined you would say it. French is such a
beautiful sounding language. It has always driven American girls wild.
Anyway, I think the numerous ways to pronounce Mageia is something to be
embraced. Perhaps when I dig myself out of the pit I'm in, I can create
a page with the many different pronunciations to show the
universal/international nature of Mageia.

Jeff