[Mageia-discuss] Update Mageia 2, Beta 1 Errata for proper radeon-firmware fix

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Sun Feb 26 09:39:14 CET 2012

2012/2/26 Jeff Robins <jeffrobinssae at gmail.com>:
> The posted fix no longer works because the firmware files are in a
> package called "radeon-firmware", which is in "Nonfree Updates". The
> user has to add/enable "Nonfree Updates" to a basic installation.
> Installing the rpm also runs "bootloader-config", so that section can be
> removed.

As far as I know, radeon-firmware is in Nonfree Release. I don't think
there is anything in Nonfree Updates in Cauldron since all updates go
as candidates for the Release.
See madb: http://mageia.madb.org/package/show/t_search/radeon/distrelease/1/application/0/name/radeon-firmware

> Proper steps, but not the proper formatting:
> 1) Add "radeon.modeset=0" to the kernel command line in GRUB
>   (link on how to do that)
> 2) Boot system

Another possibility would be to boot in failsafe mode.

> 3) Add "Nonfree Updates" repository (link to how to do that) or
>   download (direct link to rpm)
> 4) "urpmi radeon-firmware" or "urpmi <file-name>"
> 5) restart system

Another workaround is to chose "vesa" as a driver during the
installation. Then the first boot hangs, and the following boots are
okay. It could be a nice possibility for those who want nothing from
Nonfree and don't care about high graphic performance.

Regards,
Rémi / Akien