[Mageia-discuss] Update Mageia 2, Beta 1 Errata for proper radeon-firmware fix

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Sun Feb 26 13:42:19 CET 2012

2012/2/26 Johnny A. Solbu <cooker at solbu.net>:
> On Sunday 26 February 2012 09:39, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
>> It could be a nice possibility for those who want nothing from
>> Nonfree and don't care about high graphic performance.
>
> Then there are those who want nothing from Nonfree but really do care about high graphics performance. The first does not negate the other.
>
> There really do exist people who want high graphics performace, but who are not willing to sacrifice their freedom in order to get it. Such people have a habbit of beeing carefull of their hardware choices, and some go out of their way to ensure the hardware works without having to result in using Nonfree software.

I definitely agree. I just said that people with Radeon chipsets like
me won't be able to have high graphics performance without
radeon-firmware. So if they don't want to use radeon-firmware, they
will have to use a workaround which may result in not having high
graphics performance, or work on improving the free alternatives.

Still, I say it as a general statement, but in my case, I use
radeon-firmware and I still don't have high graphics performance,
because even with the proprietary drivers I can hardly play video
games. I end up using Windows when I want to play 3D video games (and
even recent 2D video games).

Regards,
Rémi / Akien