[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

WALKER RICHARD richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 6 01:47:01 CET 2012

Quick answer; yes

man ifconfig should get you started. From memory you can set an
address for an ethernet card with something like;

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.22

That implicitly brings up the connection.

This much is already working for you as you say both PCs can reach the
internet. So let's take a step back. I don't want you to "publish"
your PC addresses, but if they are both on the same network then they
should both have addresses in the private network ranges. The most
common on routers are;

10.?.?.?
192.168.?.?

If they have some other address range then they are likely to be
publicly accessible and there is no Network Address Translation being
carried out by your router.

Can you configure your router? Do you know if it has a web-based
configuration address? If you haven't come across this before, this is
a "web page" generated by your router which provides access to its
configuration by means of forms on web pages. It is normally accessed
by entering the address in your browser, but this cannot easily work
if your PC and your router are on different networks, with different
address ranges. For example, the router might be on 192.168.1.1 and
your PC is on a.b.x.x  where a and b are NOT 192 and 168.

Let us take one more step back. When you configured your network on
each computer (using MCC?)  did you opt for manual or automatic (via
DHCP) configuration of the network address? That, I think, is the key
starting point.

If it is manual then you chose the addresses and typed them in. If it
is automatic (via DHCP) then they will have been allocated by EITHER
your router (which seems unlikely given the trouble your having) OR by
your ISP, and that means they are permitting you to have more than one
public address for your location AND that the address really is
public; if I knew your address I could probe your network - that is
potentially highly risky and is why the common practice, in these
parts, is for each subscriber to get one public address and have the
modem/router provide NAT for private networks on the premises.

I hope I haven't confused the issue. Let me re-state the important questions:
1. Are your PC addresses similar to each other?
2. Are they in the private network range? (10.?.?.? or 192.168.?.?)
3. Do you have the make and model of your router? (yes/no will do for now.)

Richard