[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

e-letter inpost at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:34:37 CET 2012

On 08/03/2012, mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org
<mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org> wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 01:03:37 +0000
> From: WALKER RICHARD <richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com>
>
> OK, it is all looking a lot clearer now. Your router can do what you
> want, I believe, provided it is on the same network as your 2 PCs.

The computers and router are connected via ethernet cables, within a
house so I assume that is considered a "same" network.

> The only address left to wonder about is the private network address
> of the router itself. It has the public address assigned by your ISP
> on the WWW side, but its LAN address should be in your network range.
> >From your mask we know that you have "only" 256 addresses to play with
> so the router should have one of those. That means that the first
> three octets of the addresses for PC1, PC2 and the router must be the
> same; probably 192.168.0

Yes, I use such as address to access the router via a web browser.

> If that's the case then you should be able to ping the router and the
> other PC, and nmap the network. Let's try that again, this time post
> your output as the only addresses will be private anyway. Don't forget
> to disable the personal firewalls on the two Mandriva boxes.
>
> We are expecting nmap -sP 192.168.0.* to report 3 hosts; the two PCs
> and the router. If we don't see all three, then as suggested above we

command terminal output:

nmap -sP 192.168.0.*

Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.1
Host is up (0.00030s latency).
MAC Address: ... (broadband internet router)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.2
Host is up (0.00016s latency).
MAC Address: ... (computer)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.3
Host is up.
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (3 hosts up) scanned in 31.54 seconds

> need to look at the routing tables to make sure they are  correctly
> set. Just enter "route" in a root console on each PC and post that
> output too.

route command terminal output (note: personal firewall not disabled at
the time of writing):

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     10     0        0 eth1
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     10     0        0 eth1
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    10     0        0 eth1

> The next step, if we need it, is to double-check the configured
> settings in the router. I hope you can access that from your
> browser;-)

yes