[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

WALKER RICHARD richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 9 00:53:09 CET 2012

Now back to the NFS problem. I have just gone through the procedure
described in the draknfs.html guide you referenced in your original
post elsewhere. I am using a Mageia 1 machine as the provider of the
share (the server) and a Mandriva 2010.0 machine as the client.

The first thing is to make sure the personal firewall does not get in
the way so I disabled it on both PCs.

Next, on the server PC I selected the "Share drives and directories
using NFS" option on "Network Sharing" in MCC.

As I hadn't done this before it prompted me to install some missing
NFS packages and then presented me with the screen where I could "Add"
a share. The resulting popup let me browse to a folder for sharing (I
chose ~/Videos) .

The next box on the form asks for information about which hosts I want
to share with. There are a few options, but the simplest is to use the
proffered 192.168.0.0/8 choice. You can maybe guess that the "/8"
tells how many zero bits are in our net mask and as the last octet is
zero then all bits are zero, so it is 8.

The next box gives User ID Mapping options. I left that at "No user
UID mapping". I have the same UID on all of my PCs so that works fine
for me.

The only other thing I changed was in the "Advanced" section (which
expands) where I changed the "Read-Only share" from "yes" to "no".

OK that and your entry appears in the left hand window. The actual
configuration you have just completed can be found in /etc/exports -
take a look if you like.