[Mageia-discuss] Mediawiki installation not pulling in whats required?

Oliver Burger obgr_seneca at mageia.org
Wed Mar 28 14:09:47 CEST 2012

Am 28.03.2012 13:33, schrieb John Bowden:
> Hi
> I been tinkering with setting up a test wiki @home to test out my mag
> wiki pages before going live. After failing on one pc and succeeding on
> a second box, both of which had task-lamp pre installed. I thought it
> might be a good idea to do a page on our wiki.
> If mediawiki is installed onto a box without the LAMP stack should
> installing mediawiki also pull in mysql (mag1) or mariadb (mag2), php,
> and apache? Or would that be for say a task-mediawiki (I know one
> does not exist). Just wandering before I proceed with the page for our
> wiki
The current setup of our mediawiki package - which will be changed but
not before Mga2 release - does some strange things.

The package mediawiki requires mediawiki-minimal which itself requires
php-mysql and php-pgsql.

It can now be discussed, why php-mysql and php-pgsql do not require php
itself and a webserver.
This should perhaps filed as a bugreport assigned to the php maintainer,
it's imho not a good idea to let mediawiki require php directly Other
distros - iirc fedora - do provide a php package for use with a
webserver and another one for use on the cli.
Php itself can be used as a script language on the command line as well.

The database server itself is explicitely not required, since you can
use a database running on a different server.
It's not a good idea to let mediawiki require the database server
itself, since it will bloat a server setup which relys on a remote
database server.

Oliver