[Mageia-discuss] Bug or Feature?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Sat Apr 7 15:35:54 CEST 2012

On 04/07/2012 08:51 AM, imnotpc wrote:
> I just discovered that when a new kernel package is installed the grub
> menu entry is added to the bottom rather than the top. The result is
> that the original kernel remains the default and new kernels not used.
> Most of my systems are only accessed through ssh so I had no idea the
> new kernels weren't being used and this only came to my attention
> today when another update, probably dbus, broke the old kernel and
> hung all my boxes during reboot.
>
> I would think that if you install an update the expectation is that it
> would be used by default. I haven't had time to check yet, but this
> may also be the cause of other bugs I've been having. Is this a bug or
> intended behavior?

Not so.  The default uses the symlinks for vmlinuz and initrd which are
version-independent, and the kernel install redefines them to point to
the new kernel.  The entry tacked on to the end uses the new versoins by
name, and is there so that after the next new kernel comes along you'll
have an entry to boot this one if you need to.