[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Apr 10 04:24:13 CEST 2012

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2012/4/5 andre999<andre999mga at laposte.net>:
>
>> Luc Menut a écrit :

>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> I agree, and that's why I said "each component should requires its
>>> handbook", meaning kdebase4-workspace requires kdebase4-workspace-handbooks,
>>> kmail requires kmail-handbook, ...
>>>
>>> Currently, each component suggests its handbook (needed for LiveCD).
>>> If we use only suggests for handbooks, the handbooks are missing on DVD
>>> iso (because DVD iso doesn't include suggests), so that handbooks are never
>>> installed with a DVD install, and all the kde docs will be missing by
>>> default.
>>> For now, I don't have a perfect solution to this problem.
>>> To workaround this, I added a task-kde4-handbooks that REQUIRES the
>>> handbooks for kde's components that are installed by a default mageia kde
>>> install. I know that it's not perfect.
>>>
>>> I'm open to a better solution, but I really want to avoid that the
>>> handbooks are not installed on most of mageia's install.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Luc
>>>
>> A suggestion from a non-kde user.
>> Why not put task-kde4-handbooks on the dvd, but not have it required by kde
>> ?
>> That way, selecting kde (without selecting task-kde4-handbooks) won't pull
>> in all handbooks, only those required by the kde packages actually
>> installed.
>>
> That's only half the solution. Example: I install kcalc  or a simple
> KDE patience game - why do I want to have the handbooks? So, ok, if
> DVD does not include suggests and to avoid letting users pull the
> handbook from the net after system installation, then at least it must
> be possible to uninstall handbooks no matter if the matching
> application is installed or not.
>
> Meaning, without knowing the technical solution: if it is unavoidable
> to get the handbooks installed by dependency I still expect to be able
> to easily uninstall every handbook I want without having to use 'rpm
> -e --nodeps' on each one.

I see your point.  It certainly would be better if there were an easy
non-technical means of deselecting a handbook when installing an
application.
However, I do think that it would be better to install the corresponding
handbook by default.
We could use a tree-type selection for closely related modules.  (With
rpmdrake or similar graphical interface.)
If one wants everything, select the root application and install.
If not, then deselect the unwanted modules before install.
In addition to modifying rpmdrake, we would have to establish how this
would be coded in the spec files or package names, etc.
We would have to consider aspects such as language files, etc.

--
André