[Mageia-discuss] beta2 woes and no graphical root (tonyb)

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Tue Apr 10 19:45:15 CEST 2012

Op dinsdag 10 april 2012 17:49:42 schreef Frank Griffin:
> On 04/10/2012 11:25 AM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> >>
> >> True indeed, but if someone wants to commit suicide we do have a moral
> >> duty not to supply the gun and teach him how to load it.
> >
> > Except for society's sake! :)
>
> There is a big difference between turning something off by default and
> deliberately breaking an upstream feature that can only be enabled by
> someone knowledgeable enough to edit a configuration file.  I would say
> that if KDM supports this, and a sysadmin wants it, it's not our place
> to remove the feature unconditionally.
>
> What do we break next ? Remote X logins ?

iinm it started as a technical issue and noone stepped up to want to maintain
this feature, so it's not there.

this besides that it's a bad idea, of course...

we need to keep every choice open, but we need to restrict the newbie by
default. someone who knows what he's doing can likely get this to work, after
makeing some changes... but i'm not gonna spend time on it.