[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Apr 11 11:35:06 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:55:32AM +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> FWIW, my personal view is that the docs are often easier to access online.  At
> least one app I use, installs HTML docs, but requires root privileges to
> access them.
>
> I can see the philosophical point about "the instructions come with the
> product," but practical considerations should come first.  Often a man page is
> enough, and the Debian project seems to have written man pages where the
> original package lacks them.

If you do not want documentation, rpm offers such an option
(--excludedocs). Likely same option is available in urpmi. I can
understand that you have no need at all for documentation, but disagree
that in general documentation should not be installed. It should be
available in case someone might want it. If concerned about disk space,
then do some extra work and either select minimal, exclude docs, etc. I
don't see how excluding documentation makes things more practical.

--
Regards,
Olav